Saturday, May 10, 2014

Conversation # 21,294. Or: Forgetting who we were before we were us

 "Isn't it funny that we both like the exact same style of house? I mean, is that something we've decided together, or, like, did we both like houses like that before we met?"

 "I liked houses like that before we met."

 "You sure? I honestly can't remember. I mean, I think I did, but... we were so young, you know?"

"Yeah, I don't know. I mean, maybe? Maybe I influenced your opinion...."

"...or I influenced yours? Or it's just some kind of symbiotic thing?And what if, like, we had married other people? What then? Would we like an entirely different style of home?"

(A beat of comfortable silence.)

"I'm pretty sure I liked houses like that before we met. I think."

11 comments:

  1. Kim Karras is one of my favorite authors, people. No. Joke.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you both liked that style of house. I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Kim :) There is such a great rhythm to your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Angie! So happy you're back in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. That's what it's like. :) Well done, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, happy that you found me and I you!

    This conversation rings all too true to my ears. My boundaries of "me" are so blurred with my honey I have to back and pencil them in every once in a while just to remember... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for dropping by my blog - it's lovely to meet another writer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, can't even remember what you were like before being together.

    It's so nice to meet you! Suze has excellent taste, eh?

    ReplyDelete